This is the best southern mac and cheese recipe you'll ever find! If you've never had homemade mac and cheese before, don't assume it tastes anything like the packaged Kraft mac and cheese. This mac and cheese is full of so much flavor, and loads of cheese! I am convinced this is the BEST mac and cheese recipe!
Mac and Cheese
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 oz Velveeta Cheese (cut into small cubes)
- 1 1/2 cups gruyere cheese (grated)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2-3 pinches nutmeg
- 1 cup white sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small garlic clove freshly minced (optional)
- 3 cups plain panko bread crumbs
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees (I always place my racks on the third level from top)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water generously (about 1 tbsp). Add the elbow macaroni, and boil just a minute shy of the recommended time (al dente).
In a small sauce pan, combine the cream, milk and butter. Heat until the butter is melted.
Pour over the cooked macaroni, and add cubed velveeta, grated gruyere, grated sharp cheddar, pepper. Combine,
Pour the pasta into a 9x13 baking dish, or into a cast iron skillet. Top the pasta with grated extra white sharp cheddar cheese.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Cool for 5-10 minutes.
In a small saucepan combine butter, a small garlic glove (optional if you do not love garlic), bread crumbs, and salt.
Cook until the butter is melted and the topping is lightly brown.
Add crispy topping to the mac and cheese.
Serve mac and cheese with topping, pass it around the table, and enjoy!
1. Do not use pre-shredded cheese for this recipe. Buy block cheese, and shred on your own. Pre-shredded cheese is coated and will not melt the way it should. For best results grade blocked cheese.
2. Cook the pasta slightly less than usual. The pasta will be baking in the oven, therefore will finish cooking.
3. You can use other cheese for this recipe, however, I find that gruyere, cheddar cheese, Velveeta, and sharp white cheddar is a perfect combination for mac, and cheese!
4. Try baking your mac and cheese in a cast iron pan. It makes this recipe taste oh so much better!