This steak salad is easy to make, and it is just so tasty! This is the perfect salad to eat anytime throughout the year, whenever you are up for a good salad, that requires minimal work.
The first time I had this salad was at my mother-in-law’s house. When I tried this goodness I immediately fell in love with it. If I’m feeling like eating something healthier or honestly I don’t know what to make, this is always my go-to recipe. In fact, if I were to choose to eat 5 meals for the rest of my life this one would be number one! I promise you it’s that delicious, and I really hope you think so too!
Whats inside this Steak Salad?
Steak salad is filled with lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, corn, feta cheese, fried onions, and of course steak! This combination is absolutely delicious you will keep wanting to make more!
One of the great things about this recipe is if you don’t like one of the ingredients you can always leave it out, and/or substitute it with another veggie. It’s a salad after all.
Ingredients for Steak Salad-
- Thin Sliced Steak
- Romaine Lettuce
- Feta cheese
- Crispy Fried Onions ( I use French’s Brand)
- Beans (optional)
Salad Dressings –
- Ranch Dressing or Poppy Seed Dressing (I like to mix both)
How to make Steak Salad
Let’s start with cooking the steak. In a heated skillet, add 1 tbsp olive oil, and add chopped thin-sliced steaks. Season the steak with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook about 5-8 minutes, or until the steak is cooked to your liking. Set the steak aside
Chop one big bunch of romaine lettuce, or two small ones. Make sure to throughly rinse the lettuce.
Chop up 1-2 large tomatoes, or 2-3 medium sized tomatoes. Slice avocados.
In a large salad bowl, combine chopped romaine lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado. Add corn, fried onions, feta cheese, beans (optional), and cooked steak.
Mix the salad, and add dressing right before serving.
What type of steak do you use for this salad?
I buy thin-sliced steak made for sandwiches or breakfast steaks. Whatever I can find that is thin slices already. You can buy any kind of steak however be sure to slice the steak into thin one-inch strips.
Can you I use chicken instead of steak?
I have tried this salad with chicken instead of steak. I have to admit I did not love it. There is something about adding steak to this salad instead of chicken or any other meat. Hence the name “Steak Salad”.
What dressing do you use?
I like to mix both the poppy seed dressing with the ranch dressing. I have no idea how I’ve come up with that but you should try it, you’ll be hooked. Either way, I think this salad tastes great with ranch or poppy seed dressing…Or both!!
If you prefer neither, a great dressing to substitute would be a balsamic vinaigrette.
Can I use any type of corn?
Yes, you can use fresh corn on a Cobb for this salad, frozen or canned. Whatever you have on hand works and it all tastes great.
What can you serve this salad with?
You can eat this salad for dinner without necessarily any other side with it. It is sooo filling you’d be surprised! I think baked potatoes or twice-baked potatoes are a great side with this salad if you are feeling a full steak dinner.
A Few Suggestions to perfection –
1. I do suggest not mix the whole salad with the dressing to prevent it from getting soggy quickly. Instead, I will scoop the salad into bowls, and then add dressing on top for the individual to mix it up on their own.
2. I am not a big fan of beans, but if you are I highly recommend adding them to this salad. It will taste great, and it adds more protein.
3. If you have extra time on hand, try grilling your corn. It makes this salad taste even more delicious!
For the Steak
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb thin sliced steak
- Salt (season to taste)
- Pepper (season to taste)
- Garlic Powder (season to taste)
For the Salad
- 1 Large bunch of Romaine Lettuce or two medium
- 14 oz corn (Use Grilled, fresh, frozen, or canned corn)
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 large avocado
- 1/2 – 1 cup feta cheese
- 14 oz canned beans (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups crispy fried onions
- ranch or poppy seed dressing
Cooking the Steak
- 1. Heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat.
- 2. Once the skillet feels warm, add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add 1 pound of thin sliced, chopped steaks. Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper (or with seasonings of your choice). Cook steak for 5-8 minutes, until done to your liking.
- 3. Rinse the lettuce throughly along side with any other vegetables.
- 4. Chop the lettuce, tomatoes, and the avocado.
Assembling the salad
- 1. Add chopped romaine lettuce into a large salad bowl.
- 2. Add chopped tomatoes, avocado, corn, beans, feta cheese, and the steak
- 3. Top with crispy fried onions.
- 4. Serve with ranch, poppy seed dressing, or you favorite balsamic vinaigrette.
Did you make this recipe?
Lovely. Now let me know how you liked it. Tag @willowscookbook on Instagram