This is one of my favorite soups ever! If you have not tried it yet, you are missing out! I absolutely think this is the perfect soup for a cold chilly night. It is so hearty, full of crushed tomatoes, beans, shredded chicken, and corn. Being able to add toppings to this soup doesn’t get better. You can customize it to your own taste!
I absolutely love slow cooker meals. They are so easy, and everything comes out so amazing. All you have to do is toss everything in the morning right before work, or whatever you have going on into the slow cooker, and 8 hours later it will be ready. Can’t get any easier than that!
Whats inside this Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Chicken tortilla soup is filled with taco styled ingredients such as beans, shredded chicken, corn, and tomatoes. You can even add a jalapeños pepper or two for some heat! The toppings for this soup are endless! Whatever you’d like to toss in is what makes this soup so yummy!
Ingredients for Tortilla Soup-
- Minced Garlic
- Chicken Broth
- Chicken Breasts or Rotisserie Chicken
- Black Beans
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Ground Cumin
- Chilli Powder
- jalapeño pepper (optional)
- Red Pepper (optional)
Soup Toppings –
- Tortilla Strips (homemade or store-bought)
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Lime juice squeezed from a lime
- Cheese (the more the better)
- Fresh Cilantro
How to make Chicken Tortilla Soup in Slow Cooker?
Combine, diced onions, minced garlic, diced jalapeno (optional), chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, black beans, corn, and spices into the crockpot. Stir to combine.
Add in chicken breasts, and fresh cilantro.
Allow the soup to slow cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the chicken is cooked and tender.
Shred the chicken breasts, and serve with your favorite toppings.
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup on the Stove Top –
If you do have time on hand or you prefer to cook on the stovetop, the best part is this can all be done in one pot.
You will need a large soup pot. Start by adding 1 tbsp olive oil. Saute onions, minced garlic, and the jalapeños for about 5-6 min. They will be cooked once they are a nice golden brown color. Add all of the ingredients including raw chicken breasts. Bring the soup to a boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the chicken breasts are cooked. Scoop out the chicken breasts and shred them. Once shredded add back into the soup. Serve with your favorite toppings.
How to make baked tortilla strips at home?
One of the best toppings to add to this soup is tortillas! I personally do not always add it in depending if I’m feeling it or not. Sometimes I just want to eat this soup the way it is with lots of sour cream and cheese! You can either use store-bought tortilla strips or make them yourself. They are super easy to make.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut tortillas into strips.
- Drizzle olive oil onto tortilla strips
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly toasted
How long will this soup last?
This is the perfect recipe to cook over the weekend or during the week if you are a leftover fan! Chicken Tortilla Soup will be good for up to 4-5 days. Be sure to store it in a sealable container.
Can you I use chicken rotisserie?
You most certainly can use rotisserie chicken. In fact, by doing so, this will cut back your cooking time. You will need to cook until all the ingredients are heated through.
Can I use frozen corn?
Absolutely. I have tried both ways, canned and frozen corn and both ways are great. Feel free to use whatever you have on hand!
A Few Suggestions to perfection –
1. Cook on low heat in your slow cooker instead of high heat for tender chicken
2. I suggest chopping the onions into finer pieces that way the onion cooks thoroughly while it is in the slow cooker.
3. Adding fresh jalapeños adds the perfect amount of heat to this soup.
4. Try adding Mexican blend cheese as a topping. It goes so well with this soup.
5. Fresh limes squeezed into this soup makes a huge difference!
Chicken Tortilla Soup – Slow Cooker
Ingredients for Soup
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 lb fresh chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken
- 14 oz black beans, drained
- 14 oz corn, drained (may use frosh or frozen as well)
- 20 oz can crushed tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp dash of pepper
- 1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro
- avocado, sliced
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- tortilla strips
- fresh cilantro
- fresh lime, sliced into wedges
- 1. Dice onions, jalapeno pepper (optional), and red pepper (optional).
- 2. Combine, diced onions, minced garlic, diced jalapeno (optional), chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, black beans, corn, and spices into the crock pot. Stir to combine
- 3. Add chicken breasts, and fresh cilantro.
- 4. Cover and coon on low for 6-8 hours, or until chicken is fully cooked and tender.
- 5. Remove chicken breasts out of pot, and shred the chicken using 2 forks.
- 6. Return the shredded chicken back into crock pot.
- 7. Ladle soup into bowls, and serve with toppings
Did you make this recipe?
Lovely. Now let me know how you liked it. Tag @willowscookbook on Instagram